'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Lola.



LOLA

Two year old Jack Russell Terrier
Lola Boleyn, Ro, Lola Polar, Lola Cola Bottle, Rora, Rolo, Ratface, Bat-Ears, Lola Girl, Loze, Lozza, Rose, Lola Paws, Rorie, Laurie, Rozie, Lil Bit, Pup-Pup Puppy, Roly, Roly Poly, Squirrel, Sergeant Wiggles, Squiggles, Squiggle-Butt, Squiggly Wiggly, Princess (Puppy) Paws.
52 Weeks of Lola | Known Cues | Training Logs
Lola is a Jack Russell Terrier puppy, who was born on the 1st October 2010 and who came to me on 30th November 2010. I've been training her regularly, with the aim of her eventually achieving Kennel Club Good Citizen Gold status. I have hopes of running Lola in agility for exercise and fun at a local agility club when she's older.

Lola was born on the 1st October 2010, as the result of a breeding between my friend's smooth-coated JRT and a working, broken-coated male. I first saw the litter the day after they were born, and begged (fruitlessly, it seemed) for a puppy. The pup would be good company for Jess, I argued; and with university, I wasn't away that much. Plus, the pups would be ready to go only a week or so before university broke up for the six/seven week long Christmas holidays - what perfect timing.

My mum refused again, and again, and again. Then I didn't see the litter until they were about six weeks old, and so mostly put my hopes out of my mind. Then, when I saw them, I began begging in earnest once more. The woman who was supposed to have been having Lola hadn't contacted since the day she'd put down a deposit; hadn't asked for updates, hadn't come to see her herself, and so on. Lola told me what she wanted by waddling over and dropping onto my lap, chewing my shoelaces, and begging for food.

Within two or three days, Mum relented. If the woman who had paid for her hadn't contacted them by that Friday (this was either Monday or Tuesday of the week), then she would pay for her. Lola would be my early eighteenth birthday present. That night, L came to my house briefly to meet Jess--and that went great, with Jess curiously sniffing her and wagging her tail but not trying to, you know, eat her.

My friend, rather than waiting that long (we were both bursting with excitement at this point) contacted the woman, saying that there had been a mix-up and that the puppy she had paid for was no longer available, but another was; and did she want that one, instead? The woman--who, obviously, didn't care that much--agreed to take the 'spare' male, and Mum paid for Lola a few days later. We then got everything she needed (toys, crate, food, etc) on 29th November.

On the 30th November the puppies got their first shots, and were able to go to their homes. About two hours later, after I'd gotten home from university and taken Jess on a walk (to tire her out before the little pup came home, so she didn't squish her), me and Mum went to pick up Lola. We'd decided to keep Lola's name the same (or rather, I'd decided--my mum wanted to call her Rihanna, after a certain favourite pop singer), and there was many hugs and kisses of the little terrier before we took her away.

Lola settled in quite quickly; she slept on my lap 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the time was torn between having accidents on the floor, playing with toys, looking at Jess and eating. It took her three or four days to start playing Terrier Wars with Jess, and she hasn't looked back since.

On the 6th December, we started attending Trinity Training puppy classes, for socialisation and an understanding of what was required for the Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme Bronze certificate. I was met with outdated training methods, relying more on aversives and dominance theory than anything, and ultimately quit on 25th January with only a few classes left, as I no longer felt like it was a safe or pleasant place for Lola to be. On the 5th April, we started attending Reedyford Dog Training with the intention to working through the Kennel Club GCDS Puppy Foundation; on the 12th of April, we were moved into the Bronze KC class, but chose not to attend for the following week (19th) because of the methods seen used.

Lola has, since the age of about six and a half months, become dog-reactive and more people-reactive. Her dog reactivity disappears when she is with other dogs, and seems to be concentrated most as a form of resource guarding. Her people reactivity is based on wanting to avoid them. Since she turned about 9 months old, we have been working on reducing this reactivity using positive reinforcement techniques.